1. The Gustav Mahler Academy 2020 is open for high-qualified European musicians, born between January 1, 1992 and July 19, 2002. Besides EU citizenship, other non-EU eligible countries are (in alphabetical order): Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Iceland, Israel, Lichtenstein, Macedonia, Montenegro, Moldova, Monaco, Norway, Russia, San Marino, Switzerland, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Vatican City.
2. The Mahler Academy 2020 is open for students of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute (also piccolo), oboe, english horn, clarinet, bass clarinet, bassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone, tuba, timpani, percussion, harp, accordeon and saxophone.
3. Participants will be divided in different groups, with different date of arrival and stay in Bolzano.
4. Participants must not have a permanent work as orchestra member or music professor.
5. Online registration for the master classes entails sending the correctly completed registration form, to the office of the Foundation exclusively through our website under the menu item “Admissions”.
6. It is mandatory to attach a copy of a valid ID or passport to the application form, a curriculum vitae in English or German and a link related to a video in which the applicant plays (see below). Only the application with all requested documents attached shall be considered valid.
7. Each applicant - previous Academy participants included - must send a short video (max. 5 minutes) of them playing one of the pieces on the list below.
A video made with a smartphone and without piano accompaniment would suffice. Please send your video preferably via Youtube, setting it to private mode and sending the related password. The Busoni-Mahler Foundation office will handle these videos confidentially and they will help the Artistic curator in putting together the chamber music groups.
8. The repertoire for the video recording is the Exposition of one the following concertos:
Violin - any Mozart concerto;
Viola - Hoffmeister, Stamitz or Mozart (K 622) concerto;
Cello - Haydn D-major concerto;
Doublebass - Dittersdorf or Vanhal concertos;
Flute - any Mozart concerto;
Oboe - Mozart concerto K 314 (for English Horn: solo from Dvořák Symphony No. 9);
Clarinet - Mozart concerto K 622;
Bassoon - Mozart concerto K 191;
Horn - any Mozart concerto;
Trumpet - Haydn concerto;
Trombone - Prelude of any Bach Suite;
Timpani and percussion - Overture from Mozart “Zauberflöte”;
Harp - Bartók, Concerto, IV movement;
Tuba - Vaughan Williams, Concerto;
Accordeon and saxophone - free choice.
9. Registration deadline is May 6, 2020.
10. Participants of the Academy 2020 will be selected by the Artistic curator of the Academy at his incontestable discretion. Applicants will be notified by e-mail by May 28, 2020.
11. All selected musicians will receive an e-mail with a formal invitation within May 28, 2020. All admitted applicants must send a confirmation within June 4, 2020 by email to email@example.com
12. In case that an applicant fails to confirm, his invitation will be revoked and passed on to the next applicant on the waiting list, in the order determined by the Artistic curator.
IMPORTANT: GMJO effective members, who gain admittance to Mahler Academy, cannot cancel their participation in GMJO Summer Tour 2020, otherwise their invitation to the masterclass will be revoked.
13. The selected musicians will have to pay a participation fee of EUR 100,00 within 10 days from the date of receipt of the invitation. In the opposite case, the office of Busoni-Mahler Foundation will revoke the invitation asking the following candidate from the waiting list, according to the ranking prepared by the Artistic curator during the selection phase. The fee will be paid to the bank account of the Ferruccio Busoni - Gustav Mahler Foundation, IBAN IT 90 A 06045 11600 000 000 450 000 BIC / SWIFT CODE: CRBZIT2B090 specifying the name of the participant in the courses.
Participation fees will be refunded to applicants who renounce to participate in the Academy by June 26. After this date, the Foundation will not reimburse the fee.
14. For the duration of the Academy, participants will be accommodated at the expense of the Busoni-Mahler Foundation in double rooms in a hotel located in the city center. The Foundation will pay for their meals at a student cafeteria or they will receive meal-vouchers to be used in local restaurants that have an arrangement with the Foundation.
15. All participants are entitled to a scholarship of EUR 300.00 which will be paid to them by bank transfer at the end of the Academy.
16. A fluent knowledge of German or English is a prerequisite for participating the Mahler Academy.
17. It is mandatory to attend classes and lessons during the Academy. The schedule will be available 15 days prior to the start of the master classes.
18. Once the invitations are confirmed, all music will be sent by email.
19. Double-bass players should preferably bring their own instruments. Should they require the Busoni-Mahler Foundation to provide an instrument, please send a specific request after the admission has been confirmed.
20. Participants must behave properly toward peers, teachers, staff and the hotel personnel during their entire stay. If not, the Busoni-Mahler Foundation office will immediately exclude them from the courses and require them to pay for all costs of room and board themselves.
21. The use of telephone, fax and copy-machine in the Academy office will only exceptionally be allowed.
22. Items borrowed from the office must be returned undamaged. Participants are personally responsible for all borrowed items and for any damage to instruments that may occur.
23. Access to the course rooms is only permitted during the scheduled hours. The schedule will be prepared by the Busoni-Mahler Foundation office. Daily updates will be sent by e-mail to each participant and will be posted at the information board in the hotel or at the office.
24. The Busoni-Mahler Foundation will insure non-EU citizens in case of accident or illness. EU citizens must be in possession of the European health insurance card, which entitles them to medical services in the Bolzano hospital.
25. Costs of private doctor appointments or examinations by a specialist will not covered by the Busoni-Mahler Foundation. The Foundation will not be responsible for the costs of transportation of sick persons, if these costs are not covered by health insurance.