Application Requirements for the Gustav Mahler Academy 2018
1. Musicians who want to apply the Gustav Mahler Academy 2018 must be born between January 1, 1990 and July 18, 2000.
2. Master classes are open for high-qualified European musicians. The Mahler Academy 2018 is open for students of the following instruments: violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, contrabassoon, horn, trumpet, trombone and timpani.
3. During selection phase, in case of joint winners, priority of admission is given to members of the Gustav Mahler Jugendorchester and students from Bolzano Conservatory. Participants will be divided in two groups, with different date of arrival and stay in Bolzano.
4. Participants must not have a permanent work as orchestra member or music professor.
5. Each applicant - GMJO members and students from Bolzano Conservatory included - must send his/her curriculum vitae in English or German.
6. Each applicant - GMJO members, students from Bolzano Conservatory and previous Academy participants included - must send a short video (max. 5 minutes) of them playing one of the pieces on the list below.
A video made with a smartphone and without piano accompaniment would suffice. Please send your video preferably via Youtube, setting it to private mode and sending the related password. The Foundation office will handle these videos confidentially and they will help the Artistic director in putting together the chamber music groups.
Please send the video or the related link to email@example.com
7. The repertoire for the video recording is the Exposition of one the following concertos:
Violin - any Mozart concerto;
Viola - Hoffmeister, Stamitz or Mozart (K 622) concerto;
Cello - Haydn D-major concerto;
Doublebass - Dittersdorf or Vanhal concertos;
Flute - any Mozart concerto;
Oboe - Mozart concerto K 314;
Clarinet - Mozart concerto K 622;
Bassoon - Mozart concerto K 191;
Horn - any Mozart concerto;
Trumpet - Haydn concerto;
Trombone - Prelude of any Bach Suite;
Timpani - excerpts from Mozart “Zauberflöte”.
IMPORTANT: It is suggested to send the application form and the video in the same day.
8. Participants of the Academy 2018 will be selected by the Artistic director at his incontestable discretion. Applicants will be notified by e-mail by Friday May 4, 2018.
9. Online registration for the master classes entails sending the privacy law form and the correctly completed registration form, to the office of the Foundation exclusively through our website under the menu item “Admissions”.
10. It is mandatory to attach a copy of a valid ID or passport to the application form. Only the application with all requested documents attached shall be considered valid.
11. Registration deadline is April 22, 2018.
12. All selected musicians will receive an e-mail with a formal invitation within May 4, 2018. All admitted applicants must send a confirmation within May 10, 2018 by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
13. In case that an applicant fails to confirm, his invitation will be revoked and passed on to the next applicant on the waiting list, in the order determined by the Artistic director.
IMPORTANT: GMJO effective members, who gain admittance to Mahler Academy, cannot cancel their participation in GMJO Summer Tour 2018, otherwise their invitation to the masterclass will be revoked.
14. For the duration of the Academy, participants will be accommodated at the expense of the Gustav Mahler Foundation in double/triple rooms in a hotel in the city center. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will pay for their meals at a student cafeteria or they will receive meal-vouchers to be used in local restaurants that have an arrangement with Mahler Foundation.
15. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will reimburse each participant their travel expenses up to a maximum of Euro 100,-. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will also reimburse each cello/double bass player up to a maximum of further Euro 100,- only and only in case of need for an extra-ticket for the instrument. These reimbursements will be paid by bank transfer only and only upon receiving the original travel documents by postal service (either the passenger ticket or the extra-ticket for the instrument).
Taxi fees and costs for arriving by car cannot be reimbursed (only public transport).
16. Participants who are residents of the city of Bolzano will get only meal-vouchers but will not be eligible for accommodation expenses. Participants who reside in Alto Adige/Südtirol will be reimbursed for room and board expenses only if their home is more than 50 Km removed from the courses location.
17. A fluent knowledge of German or English is a prerequisite for participating the Mahler Academy.
18. It is mandatory to attend classes and lessons during the Academy. The schedule will be available 15 days prior to the start of the master classes.
19. Once the invitations are confirmed, all music will be sent by email.
20. Double-bass players should preferably bring their own instruments. Should they require the Gustav Mahler Foundation to provide an instrument, please send a specific request after the admission has been confirmed.
21. Participants must behave properly toward peers, teachers, staff and the Hotel personnel during their entire stay. If not, the Mahler Foundation office will immediately exclude them from the courses and require them to pay for all costs of room and board themselves.
22. The use of telephone, fax and copy-machine in the Academy office will only exceptionally be allowed.
23. Items borrowed from the office must be returned undamaged. Participants are personally responsible for all borrowed items and for any damage to instruments that may occur.
24. Access to the course rooms is only permitted during the scheduled hours. The schedule will be prepared by the Foundation office. Daily updates will be sent by e-mail to each participant and will be posted at the information board in the Hotel or at the office.
25. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will insure non-EU citizens in case of accident or illness. EU citizens must be in possession of the European health insurance card, which entitles them to medical services in the Bolzano hospital.
26. Costs of private doctor appointments or examinations by a specialist will not covered by the Gustav Mahler Foundation. The Gustav Mahler Foundation will not be responsible for the costs of transportation of sick persons, if these costs are not covered by health insurance.